Monday, September 8, 2008

My 1st Opinion of the Readings

When I first began reading Northrop Frye's, "Anatomy of Criticism" I felt very intimidated by his style of writing. However once I got past the intial shock and truly started to comprehend the message Frye is trying to portray, you ready for it...I actually found it interesting and different! In class today a couple students reflected back on their past high school english teachers and how they insisted that the students' agree with that particular author. Perhaps I am a sheep, and I too am being led by a shepard, but there have been plenty of times in the past where I was told to have the same opinion as the author. And being the confidence-lacking high schooler I was...I fell into the same rut that these other students got involved in. But that was a long time ago! Now I feel that I have the capability to think as I want. And I found Frye interesting. I felt that his message was simply saying to comprehend the text the way you want. Whatever message you get out of the reading is the correct way to interpret the authors ideas.

No comments: