Thursday, September 18, 2008

Making Connections

While reading the "Anatomy of Criticism" by: Northrop Frye, I have noticed a connection between Don Quixote and one of Frye's criticisms. On page 54, Frye says, "In fiction, we discovered two main tendencies, a 'comic' tendency to integrate the hero with his society, and a 'tragic' tendency to isolate him." So far from my reading and observation of Don Quixote, the main character seems to have this trait. Don is portrayed as a man who is briliant when it comes to the knowledge and understanding of chivalry and acts heroic. However according to Don, the people in his enviornment seem impressed by his attributes, but when he is not present, his peers speek of him with a sour tounge and brutally criticize him. Although this is probably just a small connection I made, I'm sure I'll be making more connections as I gradually progress through both books.

No comments: