Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Touchstone

In my opinion, I feel it is dificult to come up with only one touchstone. Now I'm not sure if this touchstone has to be strictly related to literature...so I have a combination of music and writing. Yes, it's a little embarassing, but I happen to be a huge fan of Enya. Enya is a form of music that is meant for relaxation. Sometimes in my spare time, I'll listen to Enya and read for class or simply for leisure. This summer, I read one of the most amazing and thrilling works. It was called, "One Man's Wilderness." This book was a true story of a man who is tired and irritated with the world and all of human civilization. As a result of his frustration, he moves to the middle of no where in Alaska. He builds a log cabin, lives off the land, and documents everything in a journal. This one particular day, while reading this story, I put on some Enya. As I gradually progressed into the story, I felt as if I had some how spiritually transformed into this desolate and frustrated human being. Once my reading session was over and I thought about my experience...I came to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't have been able to feel as connected to the character if the Enya was not playing.

No comments: